I didn’t see any mites during my last inspection, not even on the grubs that were accidentally exposed. Â Still, the Apiguard treatment will arrive in a few days and before I apply it I’d like to do a mite count. Mite counts with sticky boards are not easy to interpret. Thresholds vary according to the amount of bees in the hive Â (and I’m not good yet at estimating), the time of year, and theÂ hygienic (grooming) behavior of the bees. But I’m thinking I could count, then treat, and then count again. That should give me some idea.
This time I made a “sticky board” myself, on the cheap. I found an old poster Â made of strong, shiny paper. I fitted it to the board, then marked and numbered areas on it, which makes the Â counting easier.
Then I swallowed twice Â and entered a CVS (I can no longer enter places like CVS without shivering – and not just because in Summer their themostat is set at 55F) to buy some petroleum jelly (I know, that’s not quite post-carbon beekeeping).Â Slathering that stuff on is kind of fun.
I slid the board under the hive , which has a permanently open (screened) bottom, on Saturday at 2:15pm. I’ll have to pull it around the same time on Tuesday.
Here’s a bee related post from a blog I really enjoy reading. I sent her a link to your blog too.
Thanks Andrea, what a great site! I’m going to leave a comment there soon.
Leave a comment