Brewing root beer and mead (with wine yeast, I’m not leaving it up to chance this time). The yeast at least is having a feast. It’s feasting on honey.
Mead recipe (following this one but without the spicing):
- boiled 2 gallons of filtered tap water
- steeped one big of Tazo organic chai in it
- took off stove, added 4 lbs of raw honey, set aside to cool (= the must)
- made yeast starter separately: boiled small jar of water and 1 tbsp of honey
- let cool, added 1 package of Montrachet wine yeast (two hours later: see pic)
- once the must was 95 degrees F, added yeast starter
- transferred to two 1 gallon glass jars, topped off with boiled, cooled filtered tap water
Now it ferments for a couple of weeks.